Masterclass Christian Lo - on directing children's films.
For professionals and people interested in the subject.
Christian Lo has directed award-winning films for children and youth, such as Los Bando (Thilda & die beste Band der Welt), Rafiki - Beste Freunde and Mini-Zlatan and Uncle Darling.
He will tell about his journey into becoming a children's film director, why he believes stories for young people are the greatest stories - and what he believes makes a good children's movie.
He will share his thoughts and experiences on working and shooting with kids - from the story, the casting, his method of preparations, to the way he works with the children actors on set, and how he works with the team.
During the masterclass there will also be room for Q&A.
Christian Lo (b. 1977 in Lillehammer) is a well-established Norwegian director of children´s and family films. He aims to tell fun, challenging, dramatic and character-driven stories, at children's own eye-level, filled with compassion and drive.
Christian had his feature film debut RAFIKI (BESTEVENNER) selected for the Berlinale in 2010 and in 2018 Christian was back again in the Generation competition with his third feature LOS BANDO.
LOS BANDO became the most-winning Norwegian feature film at festivals in 2018 and was in 2019 nominated for the European Film Awards – EFA Young Audience Award. Christian also made the feature THE TOUGH GUYS (2013) that premiered at Cinekid.
His fourth feature MINI-ZLATAN AND UNCLE DARLING was released in 2022 and was invited to BFI London Film Festival and won the audience award at Kristiansand International Children´s Film Festival in Norway. Christian´s feature films have won numerous awards and have been widely distributed on all platforms.
He has also directed award winning shorts such as PUNCTURED (2001), IVER (2004), RAMP (2005) and BALUBA RUNA (2007).
Christian graduated from the Surrey Institute of Art & Design (now UCA) in the U.K. in 2001 with a Bachelor in Film Production and is now part of the Norwegian production company Filmbin.
FILMOGRAPHY Christian Lo
MINI-ZLATAN AND UNCLE DARLING
2022: Live-action feature film for children, director.
Cinema distribution in Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark. TV/VOD distribution in several European countries.
- BFI London Film Festival, nominated.
- Nominated for Det svenska humorpriset.
- BUFF i Malmø, 2022, opening film
- Barnefilmfestivalen i Kristiansand, 2022: Opening film and Audience Award.
- Festival Internacional de Cine para Niños (…y no tan Niños), Mexico City, Special mention from Children´s Jury.
- Int. Children's Film Festival in Schwäbisch Gmünd, Prize of the film critics' jury for the best children's film.
- SCHLiNGEL Film festival, Germany, 2022: Club of festivals best children´s film award.
2020: Short film, 10 min, DCP, director together with Line Klungseth Johansen.
DU ER MIN VENN
2019: 6 episodes (6 x 1 ½ min short films) for TV2/Fabelaktiv, writer and director.
2018: Live-action feature film for children, 1h 34 min, director. Cinema distribution in 15 european countries.
- Berlin International Film Festival, 2018: Nominated for a Crystal Bear in Generation Kplus.
- BUFF i nMalmø, 2018, opening film + Nordic Star Award for Best Nordic Young Actor to Tage Johansen Hogness.
- Barnefilmfestivalen in Kristiansand, 2018. Children's jury's price for best film.
- Zlin Film Festival, 2018, Main Prize of the Chidren´s Jury for the best feature film for children.
- Tel Aviv International Children´s Film Festival, 2018, 1st Prize of the Children's Jury + Special Mention from professional jury
- Giffoni Film Festival, Italia, 2018, Special Award - COMIX AWARD.
- Göttinger Kinderfilmfest, voted best film by the Children´s Jury.
- Zurich Film Festival, Kids Jury Award “Kleinen Golden Auge”.
- Bielefelder Kinderfilmfest. Publikumspreis.
- Kinderfilmfest Münster. Best Film Award from Children´s Jury + The Audience Award.
- Cinekid Lion Audience Award for best Children´s film.
- Riga IFF Kids Weekend program, best film from the kids jury.
- KINOdiseea International Children Film Festival, Bucharest, Romania, Audience Award.
- KINOLINO, Dresden, Goldene Hecht Award.
- Just Film, Tallinn Black Nights Film Festival, ECFA award + Best Children’s Film of the festival from the Children’s Jury.
- Ale Kino International Young Audience Film Festival, Poznan, Poland. Special Mention from the Children’s Jury.
- SIFFCY - Smile International Film Festival for Children & Youth, New Delhi, India. ECFA Award.
- Providence Children´s Film Festival 2019, USA, Best Feature Live Action
- Sølvklumpen for Beste Norske Familiefilm 2018 fra Norske Kinosjefers Forbund.
- Ciné-Jeune de l'Aisne International Film Festival, 37th edition, France. The Professional Prize + The special mention of the International Young Jury
- La Matatena, Asociación de Cine para Niñas y Niños, A.C., Mexico. Best feature film by the children´s jury
- European Film Awards 2019 – EFA Young Audience Award – nominated (2nd place of three nominees).
FRA MUS TIL MENN (FROM MICE TO MEN)
2016: Live-action short comedy, 8.40 mins, DCP, director
DE TØFFESTE GUTTA (THE TOUGH GUYS)
2013: Live-action feature film for children, 1 h 14 mins, DCP, director and co-writer.
Theatrical release in Norway, Belgium and Netherlands + TV/DVD in more countries.
- Kristiansand International Children’s Film Festival, 2013: Opening film, Audience Award.
- Nordische Filmtage Lübeck, 2013: Prize for Best Film from the Children’s Jury.
- Montréal International Children's Film Festival, 2014: Special Jury Prize from the Children's Jury.
2009: Live-action feature film for children, 1 h 19 mins, 35 mm/DCP, director.
Theatrical release in Norway, Belgium, Holland. Sold to 9 territories.
- "The Silver Nugget" for Best Norwegian Children’s film in 2009 awarded by the Norwegian cinema director’s association.
- Berlin International Film Festival, 2010: Nominated for the Crystal Bear in the Generation Kplus programme.
- Montreal International Children's Film Festival, 2010: Special Prize from the Children’s Jury and Special Prize from the International Jury.
- Tel Aviv International Children’s Film Festival, 2010: Opening film.
- Castellinaria Film Festival in Switzerland, 2010: Minicastellinaria Statuette – Audience Award 6-15 years
- Kölner Kinderfilmfest Cinepänz, 2010: First Prize.
- Ale Kino International Young Audience Festival i Poznan i Polen, 2010: Opening film.
- BAMkids Film Festival, New York, BAMmie award for Best Feature Length Film.
- Children’s Film Festival in Mexico City, Special Mention.
- International Children’s Film Festival Bangladesh, 2013, Audience Award for the Best Feature Film.
2007: short film for children, 17 mins, 35 mm, director.
- Lucas Int. Children’s Film Festival, Germany, 2007: “Lucas Short Film Award” for best short film.
- Olympia International Film Festival for Children & Young People, Greece, 2007:
- Both the Children’s Jury and the International Jury’s prices for best short film.
- Giffoni Film Festival, Italy, 2007: 2nd Prize, ”KIDZ” section.
2005: short film for children, 10 mins, 35 mm, scriptwriter and director.
- Kristiansand International Children's Film Festival, 2005: Opening film and Royal Premiere.
- Giffoni Film Festival, Italy, 2005: “Sichelgaita Foundation Award” – 2nd Prize, ”KIDZ” section.
- Cinemagic World Screen Festival for Young People, Belfast, Northern-Ireland, 2006: "Best short film for children".
2004: short film for children, 9 mins, 35 mm, director.
Theatrical release in Norway as part of “Ønskebrønnen og andre historier”, by ORO Film, 2005.
- Giffoni Film Festival, Italy, 2004: Silver Gryphon for best short film, KIDZ section.
2001: Short fiction for children (Graduation film), 15 mins, 35 mm, scriptwriter and director.
- Panorama of Independent Film and Video Makers, Thessaloniki, Greece, 2001: Special Mention.
- Ulisses International Children’s Film Festival, Portugal, 2002: Kodak/Tobis Award.
- Learning on Screen annual production and interactive awards, UK, 2002: Award for best script.
- Minimalen Short film festival, Trondheim, 2002: Special Mention for best acting.
- Nordisk Barne-tv Festival, Ebeltoft, 2003: 3rd place: “Fiction children 8-12”.